How To Apply
Instructions for Registration as Multi-Jurisdictional Practice / In- House Counsel
The process for submitting a Tennessee Application to Register as In-House Counsel is completed online at synergy.tnble.com. THE TENNESSEE BOARD OF LAW EXAMINERS (TNBLE) WILL NOT ACCEPT HARD COPIES OF APPLICATIONS. Applications received in the mail will be returned for online submission.
Registration is governed by Section 10.01 of Rule 7 of the Tennessee Supreme Court Rules. Please follow the steps below to register as MJP/In-house Counsel:
- STEP 1
Read and familiarize yourself with Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 7 and the Board Policies and Procedures, found under "TN Supreme Court Rule 7" in the bar at the top of this page or under Governing Authorities in the list to the left or by clicking the link. The full version of Rule 7 and the Board Policies are at the bottom of the Governing Authorities page.
- STEP 2
Go to www.ncbex.org and create a secure NCBE number account. The NCBE number will be required on all forms completed for the NCBE and the BLE applicant process.
- STEP 3
Go to www.ncbex.org and complete the character and fitness application. Be sure to select the MJP/In-House Counsel option from the drop down labeled "application type" in the section after selecting which jurisdiction you are applying to. An online payment is required for this application; the payment link is accessible from the Application Home Page. You may skip the Fee Schedule section by clicking on "Next Question" as the displayed fees do not apply to MJP/In-House Counsel applicants. Be sure to also check In-House Counsel from the drop down for "Applying As" in the Personal Information section of the application. Save the application as a .pdf and include all forms and supporting documentation. You do not have to request a background investigation; you only need the completed application.
- STEP 4
Go to www.tnble.org (this website) and click on the Synergy portal tab at the top of the screen. Complete the new user registration and submit. You will receive an email to confirm your registration. Once you have completed the confirmation, you may log in to Synergy. From the dashboard select “Application for MJP/In-House Counsel”. Complete the application, then click Finish. Your application will display for review. Once you have reviewed your application, click on “submit and finalize” (bottom left button)
- STEP 5
Once your application has been finalized, return to the dashboard and click the “details” button next to the application. From there you will upload the following documents, please note all documents must be in .pdf format:
- .a .pdf file of the NCBE application completed online including a bar-coded application number and any required attachments created in Step 3, above;
- letters attesting to admission before from the highest court of each state and of good standing in which you are licensed (dated no earlier than 6 months from the date of application);
- affidavit from your employer verifying that you serve as In–House Counsel (see Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 7, Section 10.01 (a)(4)); and
- any and all attachments to the application.
- STEP 6
* Beginning December 11, 2018, the MJP Registration Application fee of $750 may be paid online by credit card after completing the online Synergy application. A convenience fee will be charged as a separate transaction; the amount depends on the type of card used. Fees paid by check or money order must be payable to the Tennessee Board of Law Examiners and mailed to our office at TBLE, 511 Union Street, Suite 525, Nashville, TN 37219, or paid in person by check, money order, or cash. Please be sure to clearly mark your name and NCBE number on the check.
FAILURE TO REGISTER: An attorney who is employed as In-House Counsel by a corporation in Tennessee who does not register within 180 days of beginning employment in Tennessee is subject to the provisions of Rule 7, Section 10.01(h), including professional discipline in this jurisdiction and each jurisdiction in which said attorney is licensed and is ineligible for admission without examination.
RE-INSTATEMENT OF MJP: See Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 7, Article 10.01(g). This is not an online application process. Print out and complete the Application for Reinstatement of Registration: MJP/In-House Counsel application found at the bottom of this page. Complete the form and attach the requested documents. Mail or hand-deliver the original to the Board of Law Examiners, 511 Union Street, Suite 525, Nashville, TN, 37219 with your check or money order made payable to the Tennessee Board of Law Examiners for $375.